Sunday, December 13, 2009

I guess I grew up

So I'm realizing lately that I guess I'm officially an 'adult' now. When did that happen? When I turned 18? Uh....NO. I was in no way an adult when I was 18. Legally, yes, but in no other way. Was it when I got married? Had kids??? Maybe when I started to relate with slowing metabolisms, Oil of Olay commercials, and body aches. I'm 30....soon to be 31. That is definitely an adult. I mean, in a little over 9 years I'll be 40!?!?!?!?!? WHAT!?!?!?!?!? When did that happen???? It's scary is what it is.

When I think about it, I guess I'm more responsible due to my age, but I don't feel any different. I work with the youth group in my church and I can totally relate to some of the things they are going through. The difference is that now I can look at those situations through 30-year-old glasses, as opposed to hormones, immaturity, and ignorant glasses. (And I mean that nicely...but boy what I chock full of ALL those things at 15 and up....)

I was always sort of silly...and still am. Perhaps that's why I don't feel 'all grown up'. Recently, my older sister pointed out to me that I am rarely ever serious - I'm always sarcastic and making a joke of things. Hm. I guess I didn't realize that I did that. It sort of gave me a complex. Now I look at myself a little differently. Perhaps I'm too immature for 30?!?! I don't know, I sorta like me. I like that I don't take life too seriously. I like that I'm too emotional. I like that I make fun of myself. I like that I act goofy more often than not. I like that I tell people how it is - right to their faces. I like that I'm not afraid to be me. Hm. So perhaps I have grown up - I'm more sure of myself than I ever was. I know who I am and I love me, who cares what anyone else thinks. I'm an old fart, and I look forward to getting older and fartier. :)


No comments: